Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Bed Bugs life cycle in isolated environment?

On 8/14/15 11:29 PM, mike wrote:
I got a free laptop at a garage sale.
Took it home, turned it on and looked around.
They'd been researching Bed Bugs.
I took it outside while I decide what to do with it.
Very low probability that it harbors bed bugs, but the
consequences are dire if it does. The laptop is worth
about what it cost...nothing.

Assuming there are eggs in there,
If I stick it in a plastic bag, will the life cycle
eventually end? How long?

Next best option is to stick it in the oven at 118F for
90 minutes. Don't think it will like that much.

It's hazardous waste, I can't just put it in the trash.
Local thrift store will take it, but they don't want
bugs any more than I do.

Any suggestions before I fire up the oven?

A spray called Proof, using the oil of the neem tree, works. Dr. Dini
Miller is an entomologist at Virginia Tech. She put a cloth with 90
eggs, along with adults and nymphs, into a hard drive. She sprayed 40ml
of neem oil into a wash cloth, put it in a plastic bag with the hard
drive, and left it sealed a week. None survived.