Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_23_] Frank[_23_] is offline

Default Crown molding

On 8/14/2015 11:12 AM, philo wrote:
On 08/14/2015 08:36 AM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 07:31:47 -0500, philo wrote:

Walls in the kitchen have been prepped and wallpaper going in today.

Next week I'll be putting up the crown molding which is something I've
never done before.

Looked on line at the tutorials and they just show a guy with a brad gun
putting them in staggered about a foot apart.

There is no mention of studs.

Since the small brads are just going into drywall I don't see how that
can hold too well even though the crown molding is very light.

My plan is to put the brads into as many studs as possible...

I went around last night near the ceiling and poked some brads through
the wall where the studs were supposed to be and amazingly found a good
deal of them.

The tutorials recommended construction adhesive as well...I'm wondering
if that's why they did not mention the importance of hitting studs.

You can use some triangular 2X4 block behind the crown in places for
support - nailed to the top plate with a 3.5" finish nail.

Sample:

http://www.myoldworkshop.com/trim/crown-molding-installation-tips/

When I installed my first crown I found this book to be of great help.

http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Molding-Trim-Install-Like/dp/1612331807

When you cut angles, keep in mind the room is not perfectly square so
you have to compensate for some angles. Make plenty of test cuts on
small crown pieces -- recommended you buy 10% more crown than you need
because you will make mistakes. BTDT

Thanks, when I picked up the molding, the guy at the lumber yard also
said that was one way to do it. I'm going to skip that step though as it
will be just one more thing to screw up.

I should be able to handle this OK but if it looks like it's not turning
out well, I'll have a friend who's a perfectionist do it...and pay him.

My first shot at crown molding was funny as I figured two walls were the
same size and cut two identical pieces to find one wall was an inch or
two longer than the other.

As for nailing, if you put finishing nails into wall and ceiling corner,
won't you hit the board that crowns the studs?