Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Crown molding

On 08/14/2015 08:39 AM, Mayayana wrote:
As Terry said, glue just makes a mess.

Thanks , will skip the glue
And what
if you need to take the molding down later without
replacing the wallpaper? You want 4F or 6F nails,
depending on the size of the molding and what's in
the wall. (You also need to find wood in the ceiling.)

Yep, I will nail it to the studs...as I found most of them.
Just found it odd that the on-line tutorial just showed them nailing it
to the drywall...seemed like a bad idea.

You say crown molding. Do you really mean the
45 degree stuff?

yes

That's tricky at the joints. You'll
need a good miter saw.

Not going to miter it, just cut it off straight and use corner blocks

Hopefully you're using wood
Yes...pine

easy to get a nail through

and not the oversized plastic crap, which will always
look like oversized plastic crap, unfortunately. (I've
seen foam crown molding as big as about 16" high.
Like putting a giant BMW logo on a Yugo, it tries to
express classiness but only makes matters worse.)

If you
are using wood and plan to paint it, I'd suggest primer
and a first coat before you put it up.

Yep will be painted first, easy top touch up later.

Then fill the
nailholes with lightweight spackle, spot prime, and do
a finish coat. Otherwise you'll be faced with trying to
paint that tiny underside right up to the wallpaper,
without getting any on the wallpaper.