Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Crown molding

On 08/14/2015 08:31 AM, dpb wrote:
On 08/14/2015 7:31 AM, philo wrote:

Next week I'll be putting up the crown molding which is something I've
never done before.

My plan is to put the brads into as many studs as possible...

I went around last night near the ceiling and poked some brads through
the wall where the studs were supposed to be and amazingly found a good
deal of them.

Should be no problem in finding them all since you can cover up the
exploratory holes...average out the locations you've found to get a
starting point and measuring 16" OC should get them--unless, of course,
you had a typical framing crew these days and they put every third one
or the like on the wrong side of the mark...

The tutorials recommended construction adhesive as well...I'm wondering
if that's why they did not mention the importance of hitting studs.

As another says, I'd absolutely forego that; it'll just make a mess and
is a pita to deal with without smearing all over everywhere...

The "cheating" way that makes for easy nailing is to cut an angled
filler blocking and put it in the corner and then you've got a
continuous nailing surface plus (assuming you cut the angle correctly)
you've got a guide to keep it uniform. With larger crown this can be a
godsend; for smaller it's pretty easy to do without but for a newbie
it's a nice crutch.

As another says, take some time and practice and learn to cope the
corners; also note that way you can butt the starting end and only cope
the matching piece of one corner per wall, not two...

--

House was built in 1898 but they complied quite well to the 16"
standard. Most of the studs were right where I expected them to be.