James Sweet

Default "Windows protection error"

Windows often just gets hosed after a while, much of it is the fault of
sloppy applications that leave remnants or delete things they shouldn't when
uninstalled. Reformat the hard drive and install the OS from scratch, if the
hardware is ok then it'll work. Otherwise the next thing I'd suspect is bad
RAM.

"Sidney" wrote in message
om...
I don't repair computers nor do I know anything about them but the
lady living above me has a PI MMX 200Mhz com computer with 82 MB RAM
(2 pairs of 72 pin SIMM modules) with a A07 Open motherboard made in
Dec 18,1997.
When ever she turns on her computer equipped with Windows 98 OS it
does it's routine start up screens there after the display reads
something like "Windows protection error must restart your computer"
well I physically disconnected one part at a time like one pair of
RAM,then the 44X CD ROM then the modem and the problem still persists.
Note:during save mode operation the computer goes all the way to
desktop but does not have a D drive icon (CD ROM) therefore she cannot
use the CD ROM and in order for me to enable the "add/remove hardware"
icon I cannot be in save mode.What's the problem with this computer.
Thanks.