Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Crown molding

On 08/14/2015 08:14 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 07:31:47 -0500, philo wrote:

Since the small brads are just going into drywall I don't see how that
can hold too well even though the crown molding is very light.

I did a few rooms with 4' oak a few years ago.
Used 2" brads. Plenty strong as long as hit stud/joists.

My plan is to put the brads into as many studs as possible...

I went around last night near the ceiling and poked some brads through
the wall where the studs were supposed to be and amazingly found a good
deal of them.

The tutorials recommended construction adhesive as well...I'm wondering
if that's why they did not mention the importance of hitting studs.

Used a magnet from a hard drive to find studs and joists. Tagged them
with pieces of masking tape.
If you're using foam/plastic crown molding I'd consider gluing it.

The crow molding is just pine and my wife is going to paint it first,
then once I have it installed, I'll have to touch it up.

I do have a stud finder but there is noting like poking a brad through
the drywall to confirm where the stud is. All exploratory holes will be
behind the molding so they will not show.

I marked the spot on the ceiling with pencil and will just erase it or
paint over it when done.