Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Crown molding

On 08/14/2015 08:08 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
philo wrote:
Walls in the kitchen have been prepped and wallpaper going in today.

Next week I'll be putting up the crown molding which is something I've
never done before.

Looked on line at the tutorials and they just show a guy with a brad
gun putting them in staggered about a foot apart.

There is no mention of studs.

Since the small brads are just going into drywall I don't see how that
can hold too well even though the crown molding is very light.

My plan is to put the brads into as many studs as possible...

I went around last night near the ceiling and poked some brads through
the wall where the studs were supposed to be and amazingly found a
good deal of them.

The tutorials recommended construction adhesive as well...I'm
wondering if that's why they did not mention the importance of
hitting studs.

The fact that you're putting in nails from 2 directions helps - and using
construction adhesive is a mistake , makes a mess . Before you start , find
where the bottom edge of the molding will be , and strike a chalk line about
1/8" below the lowest point - use blue or white chalk , red will NOT wash
off . This will give you a guide to help keep from twisting the mold as you
work down the wall . If you're painting , mitered corners will be OK , if
staining learn to cope the inside corners for a better fit .
The biggest thing to remember is : When you're cutting the molding , the
wall side goes against the back , and the ceiling side goes against the bed
of your chop saw . This will have the ends "reversed" , so left is right and
right is left . So if you're cutting an outside miter for the right end ,
you cut the left end when on the saw . Hope that was clear ...

Thanks

So I don't screw up the mitering, I'm just going to use corner blocks.

If you say the adhesive is messy I'll skip it...I figure that if I get
the brads into a number of studs, it's not going to go anywhere.