Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default 1932 wiring

On 08/12/2015 11:42 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Several reasons why one could not use gas pipe for wiring:

Some of the pipes are only 1/2" outer diameter and though I did not
measure I.D. the pipe is thicker than electrical conduit and therefore
less room inside.

The old wire has much thicker insulation than current production...it
was rubber and cloth coated and an insulated #14 wire is about as thick
as present day, insulated #10

Finally: You cannot simply remove an elbow...you'd have to take off all
pipe that comes after it.

I wasn't recommending that you should do it. I was wondering about how the early electricians would go about wiring a house back at the end of the 19th century when buildings were being converted to electric lighting. (Š™_˜‰)

[8~{} Uncle Old Monster

For new construction, knob and tube was typically used...
but once a house is built, it pretty much has to be conduit and BX.

One real bad thing I found with knob and tube was water leakage.

A woman wanted me to check the wiring in her daughter's bathroom as she
sometimes got shocks while taking a shower.

It turned out that there was knob and tube wiring behind the wall and
moisture from the shower formed a conduction path.

I immediately turned off that breaker and told her to get a real
electrician to rewire that area.

I later found out that she ignored my advice and simply turned the
breaker back on. The house was sold, not too long after that.