Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Chainsaw Recoil Spring

On 8/11/15 3:38 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I went out to cut some wood last weekend and when I pulled the
starter cord, it came out of the saw. This is a Poulon Pro 5020 AV. I
took it back in to fix it but it would only recoil half way after
being pulled out.

I foolishly started undoing things and the coil spring unsprung. I've
had a few sessions trying to get it back but it's not easy. I found
some YouTube videos on the subject which may help.

Any suggestions on how to proceed will be appreciated.

Paul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odAz8MZPbZQ
I don't know if your starter looks like this, but it resembles the
Wisconsin Robin starter on the string trimmer I've had 30 years.

Rewinding the spring was easier after the first time, but I'm foggy.
Maybe I found a way to clamp bars in, to keep it from coming out as I
worked, but I think I just got good at moving my thumbs to hold down the
spring as I wound it against the inside of the housing.