Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Continual cleaning v/s Self Cleaning oven Which is better?

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 1:41:40 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 08/11/2015 12:31 PM, trader_4 wrote:

I see your point. The problem with built-in microwaves is that
they are expensive, expensive to repair, they aren't any bigger/better
than a counter top one. ...

That's the point; this isn't what you're thinking of a second small
microwave unit; the unit is in the regular oven and so is as large as it
is (which is a full-size oven in a standard 30" free-standing range).

Thus it takes _zero_ extra space and can be used simultaneously with the
oven which makes things like baking potatoes and the like a dual-edged
sword...otoh, it does make just "nuking" a cuppa' coffee tougher if the
oven is in use for something else, but that's a compromise we've become
well adjusted to.

There is, afaik, nobody still making them (and I don't know that anybody
but GE ever did). Mom saw this one when she was substitute teaching in
home ec at the high school and it was the new dealer-supplied one in the
home ec kitchen.

I've stockpiled a replacement magnetron; other specific parts are
getting difficult or impossible owing to its age.

--

I've never seen one of those, only the typical dual ovens where
you get one microwave, one regular oven.