Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Continual cleaning v/s Self Cleaning oven Which is better?

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 01:44:02 +0000, Sue
wrote:

replying to Edwin Pawlowski, Sue wrote:
esp wrote:

"RC" wrote in message
Years ago we had a continuous clean oven. What a crappy idea. It was never
really clean. Go back to a self clean if you can.

We bought a cottage with an old continuous clean oven, and I LOVE it! Not
because it's so great with cleaning, but for this reason:

If you leave it on "preheat" instead of "bake", say at 350', both upper
and lower heating units click on to maintain temp. I LOVE this feature!
I use it for certain recipes, potatoes, veggies, anything I'm roasting
that I want to brown a bit also. Works great! You can get brown and
crispy on top and bottom.

Of course, gotta remember to switch over to just "bake" if it's a cake in
the oven. I need to replace my range at home, and can't find anything
that calls itself continuous clean anymore. Most newer ranges of course

I don't think they make them, and I looked at least 4 years ago. I
liked mine, because you didn't have to do anything. There was nothing
you could do. Using oven cleaner or any kind of cleaning just ruins the
continuous cleaning surface

Of course it's never perfectly clean but it's never very dirty either.
I suppose one coudl gte it cleaner by running it for a while with
nothing in it. Or smething that never makes a mess, Bread?

I woudl still have mine if I hadn't set fire to it.

You could look on craig's list or better yet, list yourself on craig's
list as wanting to buy one.

That's how I replaced the one I set fire to**. I needed Harvest Gold
and within a couple days, someone called and sold me his. Looked like
new, Perfect. I don't know how they managed that. He said his
mother was compulsive. Nothing else would account for it. I would
have thought it *was* new but I found a tiny bit of dirt in a couple
corners. $100 iirc. This one has self-cleaning, which I do about
once a year. The model number gave a model that was entirely diffrernt,
but eventually, trial and error and looking for similar numbers, I found
a manual that fit this one.

**Actually the guy who sold me the oven found my ad because he was
looking for "fire" wood, and I mentioned the fire. By chance he wanted
to get rid of this oven, which was his second, that he got when his
mother moved out of her home. Though he said he was going to buy a
replacement, I don't know why.

will preheat, but once desired temp is reached, only lower unit engages.
I'd really like to find a range where I could maintain a steady temp and
have the heat coming from upper and lower unit heating coils.

Maybe you can you rewire whatever oven you have. It only requirs that
the switch be able to carry the current for both of htem. The
thermostat will work the same. And that the connection not be
permanent, that is, you don't want that any time you broil you also
bake, and that any time you bake you also broil. The solution to that
is a toggle switch, marked Both and Separate. You'd need a heavy dury
switch.. If it's double pole or more, connect them all in parallel.

If you wanted to be fancy, you could make it a push button and a relay,
so that every time you turned the oven off, evenif they were connected
to gether before the relay dropped out and you'd have to push the button
to make it be both again. This would also mean the heavy current would
have a shorter path but I don't thin that is significant. Others may
disagree. You'd need a heavy load relay that also won't be damaged by
the heat of the oven. They have them online. If it's double pole or
more, connect them all in parallel.

I rewired a room AC so it woud turn completely off, instead of just the
compressor, the fan too, just by moving three clips around, to rearrange
where the switch went. Here you ight need some oven wire, whatever
that is. And you wouldn't want to so c

Any advice? I don't want to pay a fortune for expensive convection oven.

Thanks,
Sue