Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default 1932 wiring

On 08/10/2015 01:15 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 08:52:04 -0700, "Edmund J. Burke"
wrote:

They didn't ground anything in 1932.

Not true at all, assuming they followed the code at the time.
Chapter 25 of the 1897 electrical code does not read that much
different than the 2014 when it comes to grounding conduit.

https://archive.org/stream/00701897/...e/n25/mode/2up

Glad you found that.

The problem with the 1932 conduit is that the grounds were high
resistance at best due to the now rusty and not terribly tight couplings.

I like to see less than half an ohm and most of the connections were
several ohms or non-existent.

With Romex, the ground wire is straight through and does not rely on the
pipe itself for a ground.

When I run conduit, I also pull a copper ground wire as well.

A lot of times I'll go into a building and see junctions completely
disconnected.