Posted to alt.home.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Please reply if you have had problems with Photocell E127584.

In article ,
Pat wrote:

i would replace your existing fixture with ab LED one, they use almost no
power and are pretty bright

Depending on the bulb type, you can convert your existing fixture to
LED. That's what I did for a metal halide flag pole light. I just
removed the old ballast completely and wired incoming power to the
bulb socket and bought an LED bulb. The old metal halides lasted from
18 to 24 months and were expensive to replace. The LED bulb only was
$10 and hasn't failed yet. It is not quite as bright, but it is
bright enough. No one even noticed I made the change (11 owners at a
condo association). I used a cool white bulb so even the color temp
is similar.

Pat-

My mercury vapor security light has been in continuous use since it was
installed in 2000. The first bulb lasted less than a year. Its
replacement is still going strong. The photocell replacement was the
only other repair needed.

Converting it to LED seems like a good idea considering savings in
electricity, but I have two concerns:

1. I have not had an LED bulb failure in the short time they have been
in use. Although individual LED elements may last a long time, the
associated electronics may not. My experience with CFL bulbs is that on
average, their electronics fail long before the fluorescent tube wears
out. Time will tell.

2. Many of my LED bulbs generate radio interference. I have had to
test each to select ones that do not. The security light is near my Ham
Radio antennas. It uses a 100 Watt mercury vapor lamp. I have not
found a 100 Watt equivalent LED bulb that does not interfere.

Fred