Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default OT Roku Channel Store

micky wrote:
OT probably.

I'm looking into Roku and I see there is the Roku Channel Store.

I gather one has to have channels to watch anything.

YES

But because I don't have a userid and password, I couldn't get to the
place in the Store where it might ask for money.

http://www.rokuguide.com/channels

Do all the channels cost money?

No

Or only the ones I know cost money, like Netflix?

Does it cost to have Youtube as a channel, or Hulu?

Youtube, no; Hulu+, yes ($7.99/month)

And is it possible to just watch a video that someone puts on his own
website. Like if he has webspace nad he puts up my cousin's wedding.
Can I watch that with Roku? For free?

If he has created a channel, you can subscribe to it and watch whatever is
on it.

What do I use to type in the URL for these things?

What things? Channels? You don't type in anything, just click the icon once
you subscribe. Once the channel loads, you can search it. You can search
generically - cross channel - from one of Roku's main screens.

Even youtube, which I've read can be played, has to have a topic to
search for or an id to to play, something has to be typed in, because
their list of videos is in the milliions, I think. Scrolling is out
of the question.

I'm a babe in the woods here.

I just want to get out of this not so comfortable desk chair and watch
more stuff on the TV instead of the computer screen.

Buy the model 2 Roku

We subscibe to two pay channels...Netflix and Acorn. Netflix is $7.99/month
plus $1.00 for each additional user if they want to be able to watch
diferent channels at the same time. Acorn is $4-5 month. No commercials on
either. Hulu+ is $7.99, you get commercials. There are many free channels,
some feed commercials, others do not.