Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Roku Channel Store

micky wrote:
OT probably.

I'm looking into Roku and I see there is the Roku Channel Store.

I gather one has to have channels to watch anything.

But because I don't have a userid and password, I couldn't get to the
place in the Store where it might ask for money.

You have to create an account

Do all the channels cost money?

All the good stuff costs , there are some free channels .

Or only the ones I know cost money, like Netflix?

Does it cost to have Youtube as a channel, or Hulu?

HULU yes , youtube I don't think so . I haven't tried it .

And is it possible to just watch a video that someone puts on his own
website. Like if he has webspace nad he puts up my cousin's wedding.
Can I watch that with Roku? For free?

Probably not unless your cousin has created a channel .

What do I use to type in the URL for these things?

That I'm not sure about .

Even youtube, which I've read can be played, has to have a topic to
search for or an id to to play, something has to be typed in, because
their list of videos is in the milliions, I think. Scrolling is out
of the question.

I'm a babe in the woods here.

I just want to get out of this not so comfortable desk chair and watch
more stuff on the TV instead of the computer screen.

Thanks.

Hit the Roku website , there is a FAQ there somewhere . We have a Roku ,
but since we have a satellite dish , we haven't subscribed to any for-pay
channels .
If you have cable or a satellite dish , you can find a lot of content that
you can access on-demand over the 'net . I have a computer hooked to our TV
, I can stream content saved on another comp here , play DVD's , or watch
on-demand and youtube content . Pretty much all the new flatscreen TV sets
have an input available for a omputer , and many newer comps have either
DVI-D or HDMI inputs , some also have a VGA input . Right now I have a
satellite receiver , a computer , a DVD player , and the Roku all hooked to
our TV .
--
Snag