Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default Appliance industry warns.... calcium deposits need acids

On 8/6/2015 11:49 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 8/6/15 10:55 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 8/6/2015 7:52 PM, J Burns wrote:

I remember now.... Lionel!

He and Edith were alike in that they tried to be agreeable instead of
imposing their opinions. The difference was that Edith tried to be
supportive of the opinions of others, which caused dilemmas, while
Lionel avoided confirming or denying the homemade opinions of Archie or
the ivory tower opinions of Meathead.

That way, Lionel was free to enjoy Archie's opinions. Sometimes, like a
clever lawyer, he'd lead Archie to change his mind without ever claiming
to impose a superior opinion.

I would have loved to see those two star as the Lone Ranger and Tonto!

I think I like you. I know I like how you see things. Lionel ... I'd
forgotten about him and had to take a quick refresher on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmDqvgg0Bv8

Excellent!

I was never a faithful viewer.

Whenever I watched the show it was because a family member wanted to
watch it, so I wasn't really a faithful viewer, either.

It was supposed to be exciting and
worthwhile because it presented controversial issues, but those issues
bored me.

I never liked the show because I didn't like how the characters talked
to each other or how they treated each other. I thought people should
treat each other better than that, and it wasn't funny for me to watch
people behave like that. I did like some of the individual episodes
when they would come together as a family and the characters had learned
some sort of a lesson on how they could be better people.

The rest was a sort of verbal slapstick with a studio audience
to tell the viewer when to laugh with the herd. The big thing I enjoyed
was Archie, with his personal ideas, mispronunciations, and facial
expressions.

I did enjoy seeing Archie evolve.

The intermarriage episode would have bored me in 1974. I enjoyed it on
youtube because of something I'd experienced since. In 1980, I learned
that the husband of the sister of my brother's wife, was black.
Intellectually, I thought it was fine. I was surprised that I found it
a little unsettling.

I realized it was unsettling because I didn't even know an interracial
couple. Therefore, it was a violation of the social norms in my world,
and violating social norms is immoral.

The interracial part on the show struck me as weird the way they
presented it, but I loved the part when Lionel's soon to be white
father-in-law told his wife he'd DO something about "it", and then went
and asked Lionel's mom to dance. That part was GREAT! LOL He took the
whole issue with race and turned it into something good - something
normal people do (dancing) vs. making it about color of skin.

I figured I'd just have to be like Archie and get used to the idea. So
you see, he was my TV mentor.

yes .. I get it. I think Edith taught me about having patience with
people who have difficult personalities and viewpoints.

--
Maggie