Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Appliance industry warns.... use fan oil for fans

On 8/6/15 9:48 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/6/2015 4:38 AM, devnull wrote:
Just use motor oil

http://www.centuryelectricmotor.com/...pe=1033&id=772

The collective wisdom is that detergent oils
absorb humidity from the air, and that is
not good. ND (non detergent) oils are the
way to go.

I wonder.... In the 1970s, stores used to advertise HD oil as "heavy
duty." As other cans were marked ND, I think HD meant "high detergent."
That doesn't seem to be an API designation. I wonder if manufacturers
marked cans that way so warn consumers who needed ND oil.

I haven't seen such markings in a long time. I believe SE came out in
1972. It offered better protection against rust and corrosion. I'd
understood oil tended to collect moisture in winter if the oil didn't
get hot enough to drive it out. I wonder if manufacturers quit marking
cans HD or ND because detergent oils no longer used additives that would
absorb moisture.

That would explain why the motor doctor doesn't specify ND.

If the collective wisdom were on the money, I think it would say SB, not
ND. Since 1930, SB has been a far better oil than the alternative, SA.