Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default Appliance industry warns.... dd acid to water

On 8/4/2015 9:33 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 8/4/15 8:35 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 8/4/2015 6:24 PM, J Burns wrote:

I never know which one to use when I want to oil my household
oscillating fan motors. WD-40?

I used WD-40 to flush out the bearings of an old 16" table fan. I
allowed time for evaporation, then oiled with sewing-machine oil,
similar to 3-in-1.

I figured the test was whether it would start when I pressed Low. It
would do so unless I let it sit a week. You-know-who recommended 30W
motor oil. I thought that was much too viscous for a table fan, so I
reapplied sewing-machine oil. The result was the same.

I applied motor oil from an ancient 1/2-ounce oiler. I thought I had
20W in there, but maybe it was 30W. It worked, but I'm not going to
tell you-know-who. The only thing worse than a bigot is a bigot who
knows he has been proved correct!

I won't tell you-know-who either if I can figure out who that is.

He just recommended ND-30 to you. I've a good mind to lie and say it
didn't work! I don't dare say his name. A flame war is a terrible
thing, once it gets started.

ok mums the word.

--
Maggie