Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Appliance industry warns....

On 8/4/2015 11:16 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 8/3/2015 11:06 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 10:34:47 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 8/3/2015 5:24 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 3:48:02 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 8/3/2015 3:41 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 12:52:56 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 8/3/2015 11:25 AM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 10:07:16 -0500, Muggles wrote:

All this talk about toilets reminds me of the issue I had with mine and
that calcium stuff on it. Well, the update is I finally had time to do
another treatment with the muriatic acid on the bottom where that water
flow jet is all. It was clogged with calcium buildup and for a long
time was difficult to get to flush. I'd have to plunge it every time,
just about because the water wouldn't swirl hardly with nothing in it,
let alone if you came to visit and dropped some ready mix there. HAHA!

I left the acid in the bottom and kept going back and scrubbing with a
small brush to remove what I could and the little bit of water left
there got so dark after a couple of hours I couldn't tell if it had
removed all of it or not. So, I refilled the water tank and flushed
after one last scrub and it was like night and day difference. The
bottom water jet had cleared of the calcium buildup and the toilet now
flushes great! I'm still going to have to do one last acid treatment
because there's still a little bit of the calcium left on the porcelain,
but now I won't have to replace the toilet because it flushes now.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone on how to use this muriatic acid
stuff. I was a bit cautious about using acid because I'd never used it
before, but with everyone's advice it encouraged me to go ahead and give
it a try. ?(???)?

Now use a funnel, place into to the overflow tube in the tank. Pour a
quart of MA down (no need to drain the tank or bowl) ... let that sit
a couple of hours to clear the cooties out of the bowl rim and jets.

Turn on the fan and close the door. If you get fizzing in the bowl, do
not worry - it will stop - it's just calcium in the hard water. Soft
water will not fizz like hard water.

hmm I thought I read somewhere that sometimes pouring the MA down the
tank overflow tube can sometimes eat away as the gaskets, or am I
thinking of something else? That's one reason I've hesitated to do that
with the overflow tube.

The rim jets are clear as far as what I can see, but I understand what
you mean by cleaning out the cooties from the inside of the jets. I
thought about putting a funnel into the bottom jet so I could get the MA
into the hole and clean it out better that way. One other thing is that
my bathroom fan has quit working recently and needs replacing. It's on
the TO DO list, and there's no window in that bathroom to vent.

--
Maggie

The fans are usually very easy to service and repair. The motors are easy to change and the life of the original motor can often be extended by removing it from the fan housing and injecting oil into the felt oil reservoirs in the bearing housings on either end of the motor. If you could post a picture of the fan you have without the plastic cover, I could tell much more about the one you have and how to repair it. Brand name helps too. (€¢ —¡€¢)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwduJeGiTnM

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster

hmmm That might be tricky because I had to cover it with some
insulation (temporarily) because heat was coming into the bathroom from
the attic from the thing. I think the last time I turned it on, which
was when I noticed it wasn't working, that maybe something didn't close
and that's why so much attic hot air is getting into the bathroom. Now
that it's covered, the bathroom is much cooler. I was thinking of
waiting until the weather cools off a bit more before I try to get it
fixed because the attic is just so hot right now.

--
Maggie

It's unusual that hot air would be coming in through the exhaust fan because there is supposed to be an airflow operated damper that will close when the fan is turned off. The excess heat coming into the fan housing could be responsible for drying out the oiled felt in the bearing housings causing the fan to seize up. If you do tinker with the fan, make sure that damper is working. It can round or rectangular depending on the model. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ardjP8Qso8

[8~{} Uncle Hot Monster

hmm The one in my bathroom kind of looks like this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Broan-QTX...10HL/202079310

It has a light in the middle and on either side it has louvers. When
it's turned on it runs the fan, light, and a heater at the same time.
The switch on the wall is a dial that I turn with a timer for goes up to
30 mins. I can still turn it on, and the light works, but the fan
doesn't run.

--
Maggie

If you look at the round black part, you'll see a flap inside the opening. That's the damper which is supposed to be closed when the fan isn't running to prevent back-drafts. Those fans are very easy to repair and you may look up your manufacturer and model number on YouTube to see if someone has a how to repair video on yours or a model close to it. \ (€¢—¡€¢) /

[8~{} Uncle Repair Monster

ok That damper you describe makes sense.

Sure wish you would start trimming off some
of the old text. Makes it a lot easier for
your readers.

--
..
Christopher A. Young