Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default Appliance industry warns.... calcium deposits need acids

On 8/4/2015 6:19 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/3/2015 11:25 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 8/3/2015 9:49 PM, J Burns wrote:

At one time, muriatic acid was made from brine. Maybe it still is.
Muriatic acid is sold for cleaning, where impurities won't hurt. In the
case of Zep, the "impurities", such as surfactants, help it clean.

I don't keep hydrochloric acid. If I need it to clean, I use vinegar
and salt. That produces muriatic acid that's mostly "impurities."

ahh ok ... I didn't know that. Thanks!

Vinegar is a mild acid, and salt does contain
chlorine. To mix them and call it muriatic
acid, I doubt that is the case.

I'd go for muriatic or hydrochloric acid, rather
than the vinegar mix, for my own uses.

I've learned a lot about toilet cleaning acid on this group for sure!

--
Maggie