Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Please reply if you have had problems with Photocell E127584.

i had a photocell on my pole light. perodically it would burn out for no apparent reason.

till one day it was just getting dark and i witenesed its death.......

the pole lighht turned on. the incandescent bulb burned out in one of those brilliant sun bright displays.

i went and got another bulb but it didnt light

so i went and got a new pole light sensor from inventory. they were hard to find so i bought several at a time.....

changed the light sensor and all was well.

conclusion..... the brilliant light was from high current that wiped out the sensor. about this time CFLs came out. that light sensor must be over 10 / 15 years old......... the plastic sensor window has discolored turned milky white. i am going to restore my vans headlights, i will try a bit on the sensor

if the OP is using incandescent bulbs you might try a LED bulb.

longer life may be your reward.