Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Termination

In ,
No name typed:
I've followed this newsgroup for many years; picked up a lot of useful
information, and on occasion given some.

But the newsgroup has deteriorated, and now rarely contains useful
information but is flooded with half-witticisms, usually posted by
people who couldn't even drive a nail. I don't have the time or
inclination to follow the group anymore, so I am moving on.

When usenet became popular, many predicted that the vulgarians would
destroy it; others felt that the vulgarians would be driven out by
posters with useful information, who were not afraid to call a turd a
turd. They felt that objectionable posters would find a more
appropriate forum, realizing that they were only embarassing
themselves, but that has not proven the case here; apparently a fool
doesn't realize that he is a fool.

It's true that, more and more, when I open the group mostly all that I see
are serial repetitive moronic posts by one or two posters. Then, buried in
there somewhere are the valid questions and helpful replies.

A while back, I tried to get info on newsreaders that would let me do some
kind of killfile system to just filter them out. But, I never was able to
find such a newsreader or, for the ones that I did find, I honestly couldn't
figure out how to set them up and use them.

Right now, I am using Outlook Express as a newsreader and I just now tried
setting message filter rules to filter out the one or two complete morons.
I'll have to see how that works.