Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default 50 microns enough? gold plated contacts.

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 01:43:32 -0400, J Burns
wrote:

On 7/30/15 10:14 AM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 30 Jul 2015 08:41:09 -0400, J Burns
wrote:

On 7/30/15 6:46 AM, bob haller wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/CE-TECH-Surface-Mount-Telephone-Jack-White-468-4C-WH/203715467

rewire to elminate all outdoor jacks, they arent designed for outdoor
use!

there are some outdoor jacks but they arent designed for
continious use. they have a spring loaded cover to keep it weather
tight..

phone wiring is super simple. its time to upgrade

I'm not accusing Micky of trolling, but he didn't actually say the jack
was outdoors.

I'm not trolling, and I did refer to the outdoors early in my poem,
though I didn't specifically say the jack is outdoors. It is.

If it's outdoors, that explains it. He said it's a surface-mount jack.
You should never put a surface mount jack on a house that will be
underwater, as so many have been since 2008. He should use a submarine jack.

Do they really make those? I sort of looked.

Aw, you caught me trolling and now you're playing the straight man!

No, I was serious. I thought maybe they (or you jokingly) renamed the
RJ15 meant for marinas and the joke you were making was tying real jacks
to flooded houses. Underwater on the mortgage didnt' even occur to me.

I was talking about all the mortgages that were underwater after 2008,
and I guess millions still are.

It seems logical, if they make surface mount jacks, they must make
submarine mount jacks... eh???

Right!

I'm sure Tony was talking about DeoxIT, like Stormy. I think the one
you apply to contacts has been called Liquid Gold. The trouble is the
price, about $25 for 7ml.

Wow.

When we hit port, we'd hook up phone cables from shore to ship and to
the quarterdeck shack, like a big phone booth on the pier. Electricians
did that. I was in electronics. We did connections for radio and radar
antennas. I don't remember any gold plating. We depended on silicone
grease, RTV, and special tape.

Hmmm. Okay.

I think you'll do fine with grease.

If the stuff on the connection is corrosion, oxidation, how does it get
on the plastic too?** And if it is mold. why is it especially on
electrical (phone) connections?

**There is more not on the copper than on the copper.