John

Default CH Timer Lacks Sufficient on-off periods.

A cylinder thermostat is a good idea.

--

Regards

John

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
. 1...
On 30 Nov 2003 18:53:25 GMT, Sam Norris wrote:

I'm looking for a digital replacement so I can time things more
accurately. Do these things typically fit to a standard backplate
so the existing hole in the wall can be re-used?

Most now fit onto a single gang box but also overlap varying amounts
left and/or right, top and/or bottom. If you have 6" clearance all
round from the edge of current plate that shouldn't be an issue.

There has been some standardisation on back plates over recent years.
One of the makers has a nice free booklet that details old controllers
and their wiring and how to wire up to (their) new controllers. This
is from Horstmann I think.

My main reason for posting is I'd like more on-off periods a day but
3-4 seems to be the maximum. Anyone know of a 24-hour, or maybe
7-day, timer that has more, e.g. 6?

I can't see a reason for more than about 3 HW periods(*) morning,
lunch & evening. If you want better control on the CH then you'd be
better off looking at a programmable thermostat, these typically have
6 set temperatures through the day and each day can be different. The
more recent and cheaper programmable stats are a little more limited
in the temps/times etc than the older ones such as the Danfoss TP75 or
Honeywell CM67.

However you need to investigate the wiring of your time control and
existing thermostats (both HW cylinder and room) as it appears you
only have simple ON/OFF control for HW *and* CH from your current
controller.

(*) I have reservations about having HW on a regular time (morning &
evening) control. It can waste significant amounts of fuel, depending
on your life style. I had a simple mechanical timer on the HW/CH it
broke but at the time I was living alone, the HW tank was well
insulated and would last 2 days hot enough for washing/washing up. If
I wanted a bath I'd manually switch on the boiler, reheat time was
about 20mins. There was about £10/qtr reduction in may gas bill
between having the timer and manual system. Needless to say they timer
didn't get replaced until I sold and moved out of that flat...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).