Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default Reinstalling Hollywood Strip Bathroom Light Fixture

On 7/28/2015 8:57 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 9:44:04 AM UTC-4, mikehava wrote:
So i removed my old hollywood-style bathroom light fixture in preparation
to put in a new one. However, decided not to go with the new one and
tried to reinstall the hollywood light fixture with no success. There is
no junction box in the middle where you expect the fixture to be mounted
and the wires are just fed through a hole in the wall. Thus, to attach
the fixture to the wall, there were two holes drilled near the ends of the
fixture and two 3" machine screws to screw in. The problem is that there
appears to be nothing inside the wall to attach the machine screws into.
No nut, no nothing, just air. I stuck a scewdriver in the holes that is 4
inches longer than the screws and still hit nothing but air. I am 100%
positive that the screws were attached to something as it took me quite a
while to unscrew them to the fixture off but now i'm stumped. Anyone have
any ideas what on earth these are supposed to attach to so the fixture is
secure? Thanks.

--

Either toggle bolts for a heavier fixture or plastic drywall anchors
for lighter ones. Sounds like the hole may be so large that toggle

Darn! I actually was going to say the same thing. Finally, something I
knew the answer to... SHOUTS "TOGGLE BOLTS!!" HAHA

--
Maggie