Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OT Bank relaxes security. Acceptable?

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 27 Jul 2015 07:55:19 -0400, "Percival P.
Cassidy" wrote:

On 07/27/2015 07:27 AM, Pat wrote:

OT Bank relaxes security. Acceptable?

Is there a good newsgroup for internet security (not involving viruses
or malware)?

Until then, this is what I got when I logged into my bank account just
now to check my balance:

"We're simplifying the way you sign in

You'll soon be able to sign in with one step by entering your Online ID
and Passcode on the same page. SiteKey® — the image you used to see
before entering your Passcode — is no longer part of the way you sign in
to Online Banking.

I use a bank and three CC accounts and only my wife's BofA has the
site key. Never had a problem with any of them.

Whatever changes are being made, I'm sure any bank is going to be as
secure as they can be and the new system is meant to be more, not
less, secure.

Yes, that idea occurred to me. It makes sense. Especially when
they've thought of something, to abandon it would leave them open to
lawsuits if they hadn't somehow improved things. But stilll......

My Bank of America sign-in still uses dual sign-in with the picture.
Are you sure the above message came from the real bank?

When I signed in to my BofA account this morning, I had to answer one of
my "challenge questions" before I got to the SiteKey picture, but then I
too saw the notice that SiteKey was to be discontinued before the end of
the year.

I didn't see the SiteKey, so I must be in an early batch of those who
lose it. OTOH, I havent' logged in for weeks, so it might not be so
early.

As to IP addresses, I understand that even if one has a fixed one, as
with a high speed connection, they still get reset every few weeks or
months. I forget why and I forget the exact words the tech I talked to
used. .

Perce