Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Expensive capacitor

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 12:34:21 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Uncle Monster" wrote in message
$89 for a service call is very reasonable anywhere. I know a fellow here in
town who is good and doesn't rip people off but he charges $100/hr and
guarantees his work. He's a dealer for American Standard HVAC systems
which owns Trane and a lot of their parts are the same. I like Trane and
American Standard equipment because it's well designed and very high
quality. A contractor or supply house grade system like Goodman will work
just as well and last a long time if properly installed and regularly
serviced. Keeping them clean is the most important thing to consider to
extend the life of any AC system.

I had to tell customers to turn off the AC system when the grass was
being cut to keep the dirt and grass from being sucked into the condensing
unit. Most people are smart enough to understand the concept once you
explain it and the reason for it. ^_^

Good hint on turning off the unit while mowing. I don't think I have to
worry much about that where my unit is. It is under a deck where the grass
does not grow even though the deck is about 8 feet off the ground. From the
ends it is about 10 to 15 feet each way and about 6 or 8 feet from the grass
on the other side.

When I replaced my unit zi set it up on concrete blocks - about 9
inches off the ground. Now it doesnt suck in grass clippings and leaes
any more