Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Expensive capacitor

On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 10:04:34 AM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Turned out it was $ 369. The call to just come out was $ 89. He did
check
the refrigerant pressures and temperatures after he go the unit running.
That made the call around $ 468. Everything was OK.

His explination for the high cost of the capacitor is that most people
don't
know about parts cost and they use the cost of parts to offset the
service
call. Beats charging $ 200 to come out in most peoples thinking.

Goodness, gracious. I've got to raise my
prices, if people really pay this. Thanks
for the head up.

This is in the middle of North Carolina where the average working mans pay
might be form $ 10 to $ 20 per hour.

When I called for service, the woman on the phone told me it was $ 89 to
come out and check the problem. Any actual repairs would be extra. Most
older men like me are not going to argue too much about the price of things
if it will keep their wife happy.

From some of you other postings it seems like you have not been charging the
going rate in many areas.
I remember when you could get a doctor to come to the house for a couple of
dollars (which would be about half of a days pay back then. Now I doubt any
average person could get a doctor the the house.

$89 for a service call is very reasonable anywhere. I know a fellow here in town who is good and doesn't rip people off but he charges $100/hr and guarantees his work. He's a dealer for American Standard HVAC systems which owns Trane and a lot of their parts are the same. I like Trane and American Standard equipment because it's well designed and very high quality. A contractor or supply house grade system like Goodman will work just as well and last a long time if properly installed and regularly serviced. Keeping them clean is the most important thing to consider to extend the life of any AC system. I had to tell customers to turn off the AC system when the grass was being cut to keep the dirt and grass from being sucked into the condensing unit. Most people are smart enough to understand the concept once you explain it and the reason for it. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Cool Monster