Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default Expensive capacitor

On 2015-07-26, trader_4 wrote:

The problem though is the people who do know the cost of the capacitor,
which is inflated 10X+, are going to go nuts. I would have told him
no way I'm paying it.

Been there, wore out that t-shirt. It's a major problem in the
hi-tech industry.

I usta maintain/operate a lotta hi-tech equipment. One unit had a 10
turn 100K pot go bad. I pulled it and noted it was an insanely
heavy-duty component. Bakelite casing, machined brass end-caps, ball
bearings, etc. This sucker woulda survived a drop from the space
shuttle!

I went to our local emergency electronics outlet (Fry's) and found a
similar potentiometer, only made entirely of plastic and about 1/5th
the size/wt of the original. IOW, realy cheap ($10). I compared this
with the price of of a replacement part from the equip mfr ($110). I
decided to go with the OEM part, despite the higher price. What I got
a week later from the mfr was the cheapo plastic Fry's pot at 1000%
mark-up! I sent it back and bought the same part from Fry's and saved
$100. Ripoff dirtbags!

nb