Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default Appliance industry warns....

On 7/24/2015 8:40 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 7/24/15 5:59 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/24/2015 4:54 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/24/2015 5:13 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/24/2015 4:00 PM, J Burns wrote:

I repeated it whenever the toilet would be idle for a period of
hours.
Sometimes I used CLR and sometimes vinegar. The cloudiness when I came
back and brushed showed that they both worked.

That cheap toilet has a corner at the very bottom. That was the last
spot to come clean. Some recommend muriatic acid, but I'd be afraid of
pitting the glazing.

I think I can get CLR at Wal-mart market, so I may try a combination of
things like you tried. Heck ... if anything works I'll be happy.

Of course, CLR is an evil wicked strong acid
that is responsible for the death of baby
kittens in Nigeria, on odd numbered Wednesdays.

I'd love to hear that you tried a strong acid,
found it worked nicely and might do it next
time. I've used HCl acid in my toilet bowl, and
it did clear up the calcium scale. Gave out some
fumes, which were nasty for a while. Sigh.

Does the CLR do the same with the nasty fumes?

Nah. Besides water, the main ingredient is glycolic acid. It's a little
stronger than the acetic acid in vinegar, but it's also an ingredient in
skin-care products.

ok... thanks for the info. I plan on going shopping some time tomorrow,
so I'll pick some up when I go.

--
Maggie