Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Teflon tape on gas pipe??

"notbob" wrote in message
On 2015-07-24, Vic Smith wrote:

So what? There's dope and there's dopes.

What no one seems to be addressing is removal. Ever tried to remove
tape. Tedious, but entirely possible. Try removing teflon paste?
Almost impossible and at best, a PIA!!

Good point. There have been any number of times I've had to removed a taped
joint. I bought a PTZ dome camera from China and they sent along the
biggest roll of teflon tape I've ever seen. When I ordered a second one, it
came with an O ring to provide the same waterproofing. I spent quite some
time (as Tony warned I might) trying to find out more from the Chinese
vendors to no avail. Oh well, the camera was 1/4 what US vendors wanted for
the same thing that probably came with the same obtuse directions.

Going to deploy one this weekend - not sure I should water test it with the
garden hose before bothering to climb the ladder. Apparently water can get
in through the wire entrance to the threaded dome cap. But I'd rather do it
with tape because it might have to be taken down to dry out if the
tape/gasketing doesn't work.

I bought some (wildly overpriced) stuff called Sugru that is a hardening
putty that I might use to seal the wire entry because it's fairly easy to
remove.

https://sugru.com/

(No affiliation and we'll find out tomorrow if it does what it says.)

--
Bobby G.