Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default Massachusetts Electrical Code

Short answer is that the only thing a homeowner
can't do legally in MA is plumbing.

The earlier answer is deceptive. There is, of course,
no such thing as a "homeowners permit". But a
homeowner can certainly get a permit themselves.
I've had customers do it many times, as I don't
work as a general contractor. (I've also had
customers, such as architects and designers working
on their own home, who want to be their own GC.)

But the procedure can vary
from one town to another. In some towns the
inspectors are happy to work with homeowners.
In other towns they're more likely to go by the
book. They don't want to make their own job
any harder and don't want to risk liability, so
they prefer to deal with contractors they know.
It saves them time and work if they know the
contractor's work and have a relationship with
him/her.

I had a job last year for someone who was
*strongly* urged by the inspectors that he
shouldn't pull his own permit and that he should
hire a known, local contractor. He was told that
if he got his own permit he would be unable to
sue under the home improvement contractors
law. That is true. The law is designed to provide
a way for people to recoup their losses when
a bad contractor skips out. The state pays the
homeowner and then goes after the contractor
itself. All contractors have to pay fees to fund
that law in MA.

So there are risks in being one's own GC and in
getting a permit oneself. But if you understand those
risks and want to get your own permit there should
be no obstacle in doing so. If it were otherwise
then it would be illegal for a citizen to work on
their own house.