Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default Latest AC story Autos today

Robert Green posted for all of us...

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 18:32:31 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message news:Tv-

stuff snipped

Every GM car I bought new needed warranty repairs within the first
couple of months. I've had 3 Sonatas and one needed one repair under
warranty after 2 1/2 years and 57,000 miles.

Don't they have an unsually good warranty compared to US cars? That

would
inspire them to keep overall costs down by building them correctly in the
first place!

Everything is 5 year 60, drive train is 10 years 100,000
I'm on my third one and every body joint is perfectly aligned, good
paint, etc. I'm waiting for the 16's to come out and may get a new
one.

I read this and said to myself "16's"? Sixteen what? What an odd name for a
new car model. Then I realized it's next year. Oy. Brain freeze.

My wife now drives a Honda but wants to trade it in for something more
comfortable. She reported she had read in Autoweek that all the German cars
she was interested in (BMW and Audi) were burning oil right off the showroom
floor. This site claims it's normal because of high heat and thin oil in
modern engines but owners aren't too happy with adding a can of oil every
month.

http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/c...ever-1.5208291

Dear Doctor: I had the oil changed by the dealership on my 2011 Audi A4 at
22,000 miles. Then at 28,000 miles the oil was a quart low. Is this normal?
I'm using synthetic oil and drive about 250 miles a week on highways. Also,
when did we do away with dipsticks? -- Debra

Dear Debra: You are using a quart at about 6,000 miles. A quart of oil
consumption at even 1,000 miles-plus is considered normal. The oil we use
today is very thin. Today's engines run at hotter temperatures. This equals
oil usage. On some vehicles the engine and transmission fluid dipsticks left
us in the early 2000 model years, as did the conventional oil and filter
change every 3,000 miles or 3 month intervals. Some vehicles have an annual
oil change interval while some also hold 9-plus quarts of oil and most
require full-synthetic oil.

Here's the link to the Consumer Reports article referenced by Autoweek:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...tion/index.htm

We focused on 498,900 vehicles from the 2010 to 2014 model years, many of
which are still under their powertrain warranty. Several engines emerged as
the main offenders: Audi's 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder and
3.0-liter V6, BMW's 4.8-liter V8 and twin-*turbocharged 4.4-liter V8, and to
a lesser extent Subaru's 3.6-liter six-cylinder and 2.0- and 2.5-liter
four-cylinders.

Those engines are in models such as the Audi A3, Audi A4, Audi A5, Audi A6,
and Audi Q5; BMW 5, BMW 6, and BMW 7 series, and BMW X5; and Subaru
Forester, Subaru Impreza, Subaru Legacy, and Subaru Outback.

The worst case showed that, overall, owners of BMW 5 Series vehicles with V8
engines were 27 times as likely to suffer excessive oil consumption as
owners of an average vehicle.

German cars have over engineered expensive parts.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*