Posted to alt.home.repair

Default All aluminum versus copper/aluminum coils for air conditioner?

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:44:11 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:18:04 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 09:56:58 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

wrote in message

stuff snipped

I have a huge box of heat sinks from computers that date back to the
60s through P4 class machines and they are all aluminum.
The only copper I have ever seen is in a WYSE "thin client" machine
and it is a short 6 gauge copper wire that connects the aluminum CPU
heat sink to a much larger aluminum heat sink next to it.

I've got a bunch of heat sinks/cooling fans for CPUs and some of them did
have a highly polished copper insert that sat right on the chip (with
thermal gunk - amazing how much of a difference that stuff makes!)

But by and large they were mostly huge junks of aluminum. There were also
sinks that had a bracket that allowed use of a slower, quieter (and harder
to plug with dirt) 80cm cooling fan suspended over the CPU. I bought a lot
of spares and then switched almost exclusively to tablet PC's I got from
Ebay. )-: Not sure what to do with all those spares and for that matter all
the SCSI cards, 10Mb NICs, Archive tape controllers (a whopping 250Mb of
backup tape - huge for its time), old modem cards, ISA controllers, EISA
controllers, SCSI cables (I, II and III) and a host of other stuff from days
gone by. Did I mention my wife says I am a hoarder?

(-:

My wife says I'm a hoarder and I threw most of THAT stuff out 5 years
ago!!!!!

I still have a stack of SCSI drives. I should plug them in and see
what I was doing way back in the 20th century. A couple date from the
day I retired in 1996 and have not spun since. These are the old
technology drives and I bet they will still work.

If you can find a buss slot to plug the Scsi controller into, and
drivers for the current OS, or a compatible SCSI controller for your
computer.