Jason D.

Default RCA tv 36" color problem

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 05:34:15 -0400, "Arthur Jernberg"
wrote:

Turtle is a HVAC guy who resides at alt.hvac, he's fine. I lurk there
because I enjoy reading their discussions.

Now on this RCA 36" TV. This is also my RCA area as well. Dim
picture mean anything but if it is pretty high hours on it tube itself
is dying. Usually tinted purplish or greenish if it's good grey scale
and still sharp then CRT is still good.

The serial # in that RCA, first digit is year. "0" means it is 2000,
I guess April bec of 4. Too young to condemn, consider it fixing.

Snip!

"TURTLE" wrote in message
This is Turtle.

I have a RCA tv Model # 36668 / serial # 049622039 / Chassis #

CTC-203CA5

Nice chassis, CTC203A5. :-)

Get it fixed! Total cost if you and a buddy carry it in, that tv is
heavier than an Janiratol! (sp?) should cost about 250 or less total
(parts & labor). 700 is wild guess and way out of line. :-)
Like you have made a estimate to HVAC customers, the tv tech does this
same way and spot the problem, and give a estimate. Also tech will
let you know how healthy the tube is.

Oh, be easy on that Turtle, the HVAC season is busier than before.

Oh, make a note to pass to tech to look for glue on the coil location:
L14401, if glue present, tech must remove that coil and clean all glue
off including that hole wire goes through.

TV is digital controlled and have to be adjusted via service menu
except the external focus and screen on back of (flyback) high voltage
transformer.

This is one you can try: Need plastic allen or plastic small flat
blade screwdriver to fit these. Focus is top, bottom is the screen
that set the overall brightness. Before adjusting, go in menu: press
menu once, select picture quality, I think number 4, press 2 for
"preset..", press 2 again to select normal. Back out by pressing zero
repeatedly. It may ask you to save new settings, select yes.

If screen is adjusted too bright, picture look lousy (washed out) the
blacks will light up (becomes grey, or visible lines) this means you
have actual fault that prevents you to get decent pix, that when it is
time to take it in for repair.

Cheers,

Wizard