Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Teflon tape on gas pipe??

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 03:20:32 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 10:31:29 PM UTC-4, Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 17:25:43 -0400, wrote:

But it is a LOT easier to do it right with pipe dope, and a lot
easier to do it wrong with tape - (especially if you are smoking the
dope in the pipe)

Nothing is easier than wrapping pipe threads with teflon tape, and if
gas, starting the tape on the second or third thread.

Yes there is and that's pipe dope. Faster and easier. I can
do six threads with pipe dope in the time it takes to do one
with tape.

That's funny.

Besides, they make yellow tape for gas applications. I've only used
pipe dope a couple times in the last 40 years. It's easier/cleaner to
use tape and tape provides a better seal.
BTW, were you "making" a joke there?

If tape is so superior for leaks, odd that code still
allows for pipe dope, draws no such distinction and plumbers
widely use both.

So what? There's dope and there's dopes.