Posted to alt.home.repair
NedFlanders NedFlanders is offline

Default Garage Door Spring has sprung...

So one of the springs (one per garage door - there are two doors) has
snapped after 30+ years (they just don't make things like they used to)

I have been doing the work of the spring to put my truck away at night
(not leaving it out in this neighborhood).

Now I am sure I could replace the spring myself... I used to rewind the
cables and/or reset and balance the dual springs on a condo garage door
in my past (so I am sure I know what I am doing - I have seen all of the
warnings). But, these doors are 30+ years old. They are showing some
signs of rot along the bottom (Noted when I replaced the weather
stripping last summer) and the openers are original to the home...

I am trying to decide if it is time to get new metal doors, new hardware
and openers? From what I can see on-line all in I am probably looking at
$900 - $1400 CAD per door (installed).

Does anyone have recent experience or thoughts?

Thanks!