Posted to alt.home.repair
DCB DCB is offline

Default All aluminum versus copper/aluminum coils for air conditioner?

replying to mangino , DCB wrote:
mangino wrote:

My Carrier air conditioning units are almost 9 years old and the copper
evaporator coils are totally rusted. I have an air conditioning guy that I
totally trust and he told me something interesting. He said that Carrier

knows
that there are issues with the coils rusting out prematurely. Carrier use

have all aluminum coils and aluminum never rusts. Carrier and other
manufacturers realized if they switched to copper coils their customers

would
have to replace their coils approximately every 6 to 8 years (10 years if

you
were lucky). So it all comes down to what's called "Planned Obsolescence"

and
you see it practiced with almost everything you buy these days. It just

puts
more money back in the pockets of the manufacturer and repair industry.
He also told me that Carrier and others are starting to bring back aluminum
because of the backlash from customers. I am now getting aluminum coils
installed.

LOL Copper does not RUST.... Hilarious