Posted to alt.home.repair
Boris[_2_] Boris[_2_] is offline

Default Dryer vent hose is filling up with water!

john wrote in
oups.com:

replying to ncben108 , john wrote:
ncben108 wrote:

Mitch, did you ever find the resolution? Found your post while doing
some

research. I have the same problem. I have to use a shop vac and
clean

out
my dryer vent each week. 2.5 gallons....a week. Dryer has been SLOW

dr
y (3 hours a load) and now it's not heating at all. The other
problem is

hat the vent actually runs from the dryer to the wall, underneath my
home

nd then back up from the grass outside, and it's at least 15 feet
from

the
laundry room to the exhaust outside. I'm terrified that we are going

ha
ve to move the vent.

ncben108 - I am having the same problem. The laundry room was real
humid; so I checked the exhaust hose thinking it had been torn. The
exhaust line was fine, so I took it off thinking it was clogged with
lint, there was some but not as much as I was expecting; additionally,
it was damp and wet. I vacuumed out the dryer exhaust and the lint
catcher in the front of the dryer. I then washed out the exhaust line
to thoroughly clean it. I then got a shop vac and sucked out the vent
in line in the laundry room expecting more lint. Much to me surprise I
sucked up about a gallon of water. I then went outside to the vent and
sucked the line from that point. I ended up sucking out another 15
gallons of water!

Once I got all of the water out of the exhaust vent I then went back
to the laundry room and starting blowing the vent with the shop vac.
Everything seemed to be clear at that point. I have now reconnected
everything and it seems to be running fine.

I have been reading different forums during this process and I suspect
my dryer line is too long; it is at least 15 feet from the dryer to
the exhaust vent outside of the house. Also, there are at least four
90 degree turns from the dryer to the outside vent. With that said, I
read that if you have 90 degree turns and 15 feet or more of dryer
exhaust line, then one will need to get a booster fan.

Good Luck.

Here is the reference I used :
http://fantech.net/Support/FAQs/Dryer-Exhaust/

When is a dryer exhaust necessary?

According to some dryer installation instructions and local building
codes, booster fans should be added in the dryer duct run when the
length of duct exceeds 25 feet with no bends, 20 feet with one bend or
15 feet with 2 bends. With an existing system you may find that drying
times are far longer than the dryer manufacturers instructions give,
this may indicate that you have an duct run longer and more
restrictive than your dryer can handle. Installing a Fantech dryer
booster in the duct line will relieve the excess pressure in the duct
allowing the dryer to operate as designed.

My electric dryer was vented with one right angle up an interior wall,
then out the roof, for a total of about 15' straight up. It took hours
for clothes to dry, and I'd have to go on the roof and clean the top of
the stack at least once a year of lint.

Last year I bought a new dryer, and vented it it with one right angle,
and then horizontally about 10', with a slight slope, and out the front
wall of the house, over a flowerbed. Works great. And, when you come up
the front stairs, you get the fresh smell of fabric softener.