Posted to alt.home.repair
John G[_8_] John G[_8_] is offline

Default Oven Light Bulb

The light bulb in our electric oven worked for a long time without problems; I can't remember the last time I changed it until recently. When it burned out a few weeks ago, I tried to unscrew it but the glass bulb came off of the metal base. I had to use a piece of wood to jam into the base and turn it for removal.

The new bulb lasted a couple weeks then burned out. I removed it in one piece and replaced it and now, after a couple weeks, it's burned out again.

Did I just get a string of bad bulbs or could there be another reason for the quick burn outs? We're not doing any unusual cooking, same frequency, duration, and temperatures as before.

Use a bright flashlight and take a look inside of the socket for the oven light. If it is corroded or burnt looking, it should be replaced. The heat from arcing inside of the socket can kill a light bulb prematurely.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV