Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Old Sears Garage Door Opener Died

Jeff Wisnia writes:

Dan Espen wrote:

Pretty sure I've replaced the gear and the board.
(Separate incidents.)
I don't remember the board being that expensive.
It's certainly less work to do just the board.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one willing to spend time my repairing
our household stuff.

I've got a 30 year olde Craftsman opener and I recall that about 20
years ago one of the transformer pin to PC board solder joints
cracked, probably due to the weight of the transformer hanging
sideways off the vertical board.

I re-soldered that joint,and the other transformer pins too just to
"make sure" and epoxied stuck something on to help support the
transformer to keep that from happening again

About five years ago the gear finally gave up and I was amazed that I
could pick up a replacement through the parts department of a local
Sears store for about nine bucks.

I put the gear in and the opener is still working fine.

That gear was worn so badly I couldn't resist snapping a photo of it
which I titled "Toothless". I still have it he

http://tinyurl.com/nvq9yrc

Interesting the way it left those little flaps on some of the teeth.
If I remember right right mine looked more ground up.

Yep, some of us will try to fix anything.

I've got some nice high end PC speakers where the woofer started making
a loud rumbling noise. Not sure what that could be, but I'll
probably at least disassemble it before buying a new one.

--
Dan Espen