Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Brother all in one says out of ink but there is ink printer scanner copier fax say

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 22 Jul 2015 08:26:21 -0400, Frank "frank
wrote:

On 7/22/2015 6:38 AM, Shadow wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 05:50:52 -0400, micky
wrote:

I found some webpages that remind me of what I used to know

If you know how Brother decides that a cartridge is necessary, or you
know aobut this particular model, MFC-J625dw that would be great, but
otherwise, I should read the webpages first and I apologize for
bothering you all.

No idea if it applies to your model, but printer manufacturers
make their money out of replaceables, and have little chip counters in
the cartridges/machine. So when they decide it's time to pay again,
they say it's out of ink/toner.
I was fortunate enough to buy a Samsung ML 2010 B/W laser
printer with no such chip. On my 4rth refill, each refill costs under
10 dollars and lasts 3000-4000 pages. Later models have the chip.
It might be a faulty ink-level detector, or maybe the
cartridges need reseating. Try the brother support page.
Replacement "alternative" cartridges for your model are dirt
cheap on Amazon. If there is no hardware damage, that's what I'd do,
replace the cartridges.
[]'s

My HP Officejet printer will not accept re-inked cartridges.

Apparently not enough to just re-ink them but counter must be reset.

Old HP cartridges, you could re-ink yourself, then they made ports
inaccessible and now it is a chip to keep others from doing it.

Nothing new here. Years ago a chemist at Kodak told me that Kodak made
no money off their cameras and practically gave them away as the big
profit was in the color film they used.

They also spent millions? of dollars working on a film cartridge for
35mm film that could not be opened and reclosed. So people wouuldn't
buy film in bulk. At least that's what I was told, but since other
makers made such cartridges, and sold them iirc at a reasonable price,
I'm not sure what good it did Kodak to prevent people from re-using
theirs.

Let's assume no one else made the cartridges at first. Why should they
since Kodak's could be reused. So Kodak is redesigning theirs, but
could't they foresee that someone would start selling reuseaable ones?