Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Appliance industry warns....

On 7/21/15 10:59 AM, Robert Green wrote:

The problem I have is that the price point sweet spot seems to be for 60W
equivalent LEDs and they are just too dim for these old eyes. I got a bunch
of socket splitters and they've allowed me to double up in some fixtures but
fixtures that were designed to use two LEDs would be better - it would give
an equivalence of slight over 100W still for less than a 100W equivalent
CFL. But even if the cost were the same, I'd opt for the no-mercury LED
every time. CFLs will eventually be phased out.

--

I've been using LED headlamps long enough that I wonder how I got along
on bulbs.

Three years ago, I got one whose 8-degree beam has the intensity of nine
100-watt incandescent bulbs on medium and runs 4 or 5 hours on a AA
cell. If that's not enough, high has the intensity of 25 100W bulbs.

That could be inconveniently narrow and intense indoors. Lately, I got
a second headlamp with a 23-degree beam. On high, the intensity is equal
to six 100W bulbs. On medium its equal to two 100W bulbs.

Usually, I'll run a bulb for a little ambient lighting. If I want a good
look at what I'm doing, I wear a headlamp.