Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Best storm door

On Friday, July 17, 2015 at 7:56:08 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
what features do you want??

my storm door has a adjustable window, useful so i can keep the glass high enough so the dogs cant get out.

our porch is small, so my dooor has a screen that can be completely removed, so the trick or treaters can come to the door with the screen comletely out, the glass high enough so the dogs cantget over it, and i can hand out the candy, something i really enjoy

My ProVia door is kind of like a double hung window. 2 panes, both of which open and both of which have an attached spring loaded screen. Pull the bottom pane up and the top pane down and you get screen-protected high/low air circulation. Of course, we too have dogs, so the bottom pane rarely gets opened.

With the attached screen, we can use it as a screen door on cool days when we want fresh air, but as a storm door in the cold or hot when using the A/C. No more swapping of storm window/screen with the change of seasons and a little more protection from the elements when desired.

When we went shopping for a new storm door, the ability to remove the screen was a feature that was high on our list for the very reason you mention: Halloween. On the ProVia door the top screen attaches to the upper sliding window with the plastic Poly-Lock/3M Dual Lock type mounting strips (much stronger than standard hook & loop fasteners) . The screen can be detached and rolled up, leaving an open window to scare the kids...err...umm...I mean, hand the candy through.

premium seals around the door and a nice strong handle help with long life.

dont buy a cheap front door, since it gets used every day...........