Posted to alt.home.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

In article s.com,
Sandy V wrote:

Seriously, if there is a fix for thequick recoil that almost pulls me back
into the machine, let me know. Am I just to weak to pull it hard enough?

Sandy-

I had a small generator that did the same thing. It turned out that the
engine's compression release mechanism was not working.

The compression release is a part in the engine that holds a valve
partially open to make it easier to start. Once the engine begins
rotating, centrifugal force moves the mechanism out of the way so the
valve closes to allow full compression.

It is possible that the mechanism is stuck due to sludge in the oil.
Changing oil might help. If yours is broken, repair may involve
disassembling the engine. I had the local dealer repair mine. It was
not cheap, but much less than a new generator.

One thing you can try, is to slowly pull the starter rope until you feel
resistance due to the compression. Let the rope move back in so you
have its full length available. Then give it a strong pull.

Fred