Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default ok to put wood post under crawlspace vapor barrier?

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 13:59:26 -0700, Bob wrote:

A contractor put a vapor barrier in my crawlspace covering some load
bearing wood posts -- the vertical 4x4 that props up the joists (some
call it a pier). That means the humidity from the dirt would condense on
the wood post and potentially cause rot.

I thought that is a code violation but the contractor said it is ok to
do this for treated wood. I'm not even sure that post is pressure
treated. There's no perforations or stain on it like fence posts.

Could someone point me to building code related to this topic? I did a
quick search with google but didn't find it.

You don't have to look up the exact web page, but a general pointer
would be very helpful (e.g. search web site xxx.com for it).

If it makes any difference, I'm in the state of WA.

I need a web site with enough authority to convince the contractor.
Thanks.

You did get a permit for the work the contractor did, right? Then ask
the inspector at the next inspection.