Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Spacing for wood shelves

On Friday, July 17, 2015 at 3:09:08 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 11:43:07 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, July 17, 2015 at 2:21:13 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 09:12:02 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Don't know if this ASCII art will work. The S's are studs.

Center the shelf and stud mounted brackets look fine.

_______________
S S

Shift the shelf to left and things start to look a bit funny.

_______________
S S

Great place to use a horizontal ledger cleat. Center the shelf -
visually.

I agree. What I found interesting is how many people just jumped on
"attach the brackets to the studs" as the only solution.

Of course, Andy could have/should have explained why he said
"sometimes that isn't feasible". We still don't know if that
statement even applies in this situation or if was just an
observation on his part..

My opinion is we don't know many details; other than mount the
brackets on the studs. Not all studs, materials or distance is the
same.

Where I originally wanted my TV, isn't really practical. After ten
years, I'll get it sorted out, eventually

I have a new concept of changing the furniture location.

BTW, Andy (remember Andy?) didn't really ask how/where to mount the
brackets on the wall, he merely asked about the spacing. Perhaps he is
only concerned the span of the shelf, not the mounting method.

For all we know, he has a block wall or a log cabin covered in sheetrock.
Maybe that's why he said it's not always "feasible" to use the studs.

(Only half kidding)