Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Spacing for wood shelves

On Friday, July 17, 2015 at 9:26:40 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, July 17, 2015 at 8:19:39 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/16/2015 10:50 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/16/2015 08:33 PM, Andy wrote:
How far apart should I space the brackets for the shelf for the TV ?

As far apart as your wall studs.

So, the brackets go exactly in the center
between the studs?

I'm not getting why the brackets can't go on the studs either.
The TV alone is 50" wide, which would cover 3 typical spaced studs
right there.

I'll take a guess:

Required placement of shelf is not centered across stud bays. i.e. one end of the shelf is 2" from center of a stud.

Placement of brackets at studs would mean that they could not be centered/spaced evenly from the ends of the 61" shelf. Visually, not so appealing.

I didn't do any layout, that's just off the top of my head, but I think that's the issue.