Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy[_35_] Andy[_35_] is offline

Default Spacing for wood shelves

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 10:16:23 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 19:33:40 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

I will be installing some hard wood shelves onto sheet rock.

Shelves will be 61 " long.

One shelf will be supporting a 50 inch TV. (approx.)

How far apart should I space the brackets for the shelf for the TV ?

Thanks,
Andy

What size are the shelves? How thick, and how deep - and what kind of
"hardwood"? And what kind of brackets? What load rating???

I'd be thinking 3 brackets 16 inches apart, so about 10 inches
hanging off each end with 3/4 inch (1 inch nominal) hardwood. TV
centered on the middle bracket would be on the conservative side - but
2 at 32 inch spacing would likely work - with full 1 inch - assuming
at least a 10 inch shelf

If I mount on the studs, the load rating probably would not be a major consideration.

The TV is a flat screen as opposed to the older picture tube models.

For the TV shelf, it will be about 18 inches wide.

Andy