Posted to alt.home.repair
Rebel1 Rebel1 is offline

Default A/C Thermostat operation

The problem I'm having is that the a/c continues running - for as much
as an hour - past the past the point that the ambient temperature first
matches the set temperature.

Let's say I last set the temperature at 77F and the display says the
ambient is 77F; thus, the a/c is off. I now move the set temperature
down to 76F. The a/c stays on until the ambient reached below 75, but I
don't think that much of a swing is normal.

This Hunter 44110 thermostat has a function called Span. The manual says
this: "allows you to adjust the system ON/OFF cycle rate. The default
setting is 2 (the system cycles ON or OFF when the temperature is within
1 degree F above and below the set temperature).

I haven't adjusted the Span to 1, mainly because for the nine months
I've lived here, there was no excess run time and the temperature swing
was very low.

Sounds like I need a new thermostat. Do you agree?

Thanks,

R1